Where Is God When I'm Hurting?

Dear Friends,

We recently had our bi-annual family outing to the dentist.  I don't mind having a check up at the dentist; to tell you the truth, I'd rather have a dentist appointment than an appointment with the doctor.  Jess, on the other hand, does not like visiting the dentist. 

At this particular appointment the dentist wanted to clean her teeth as there was a build up of plaque.  If she was tense before that comment, she was even more tense now, especially as he told her to just lift her hand if it got too painful.  As I sat watching the proceedings I could tell she was anxious, scared and in pain at times.  Now, the casual observer would not have picked up on it, but, as her mother, and  knowing her so well, I knew exactly how she was feeling.  I found it very hard to sit and watch my little girl suffering (at 12 years old she doesn't like me calling her that, but that's what she is to me!) and my natural instinct as her Mum was to do anything I could to protect her.  But, at the same time, I knew that she needed to sit there and experience the painful situation, it was in her best interests as she would then have healthier teeth and gums.  Knowing that did not make it any easier for me.  So I did the one thing I was able to do for her, I prayed for her.

We too face, at one time or another, difficulties and trials, in fact, you may be in the middle of one right now.  We want God to act, to do something to alleviate the pain, to stop whatever it is that's causing us anxiety and hurt.  But when he doesn't, we think he doesn't care about us or he would do something, that he can't really love us, if he did, surely he would act?  We may think like that, but that's not the truth, God does care and he does love us.  In Nahum 1:7 it says "The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble.  He cares for those who trust in him," (NIV) and Paul says in his letter to the Romans that  "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39 (NLT).  In his letter to the Ephesians he writes "Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." Ephesians 3:17-19.  These are important truths for us to hang onto when we listen to the Devil's lies and begin to doubt God's love for us. 

God's truth is for each one who puts their trust in him and to really grasp hold of the truth it can be helpful to personalise it by putting yourself into the verse.  God wants you to know that what he is saying is for you, right now, whatever your circumstances.  Let me give you an example: Romans 8:38-39 could be reworded as "And I, Vicki, am convinced that nothing can ever separate me from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither my fears for today nor my worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate me from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate me from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus my Lord." It really brings it home for me, yes God is saying this to everyone who believes in him, and yes, there's the sense that he's also saying it just for me too! 

I can remember some verses easier than others because I've known and loved them for years, but for those I don't remember I have a habit of writing them onto card or paper and putting them near my bedside table where I can see and read them regularly.  It's a great place for me as I spend quite a bit of time in my bedroom.  We need to know and be reminded of the truth, especially when going through pain and difficulties. 

Another verse that means a great deal to me and proves to me that God cares is this: "You (God) keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle.  You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8 (NLT).  This verse is precious to me because it shows me that God is close enough to me to hear and see what I'm going through, he cares enough to collect my tears in a bottle and he is right there with me. He's been with me as I've cried because of my depression, when I've cried because of pain and frustration and when I've cried when no-one else has been around to hear.  This brings me such comfort.  

God does love and care for us and he is with us as we face pain and difficulties; whether we do or don't feel his presence with us does not alter the truth that he is there.  Just as I was with Jess all the time she sat in the dentist chair, she may not have been fully aware I was there, because she was wrapped up in what she was going through, but I was there just the same, and I was praying for her.

Next week will be a follow up of this week's.

To Think About:
If you're facing a difficult time right now, ask God to help you know that he is with you in the midst of the trial and that he loves and cares for you.

Consider putting verses that encourage you onto card and placing them where you will see them often throughout the day, eg your kitchen fridge, in your wallet, on the dashboard of your car etc. Pray them when you are struggling to believe God's truth over the devil's lies.

Why not take a verse that is encouraging to you and personalise it yourself, just as I did with Romans 8:38-39.  Does it change the way you think and understand that verse?

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?