A Rainbow Moment

Dear Friends,

I get a thrill every time I see a rainbow, as much now as an adult as I did when I was a child and noticed a rainbow. I just can't help it, it fills me with joy and wonder, and an "Oh wow!" escapes my lips.  There's something so special about a rainbow, with it's colours and perfectly created arc shape in the sky. 

My family and I were travelling home having spent a lovely weekend with my sister and her family.  It was late Monday morning following one of the biggest storms we have experienced for some years.  The worst of the storm was over, but the sky was still overcast, it was cold, windy and at times there was heavy rain.

Then, in the midst of this, the sun came out from behind the clouds and a beautiful rainbow appeared.  We could see it from one end of the bow to the other.  I'm so glad I was awake to see it (often the motion of the car ride sends me off to sleep!)  

It was back in the time of a man called Noah after he and his family survived the flood whilst in the ark, when God first made a rainbow as a sign to Noah that he would never again flood the whole world.  It's a promise that God made and has kept ever since. "Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come.  I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life.  When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” Genesis 9:12-16 (NLT) It's not just that the rainbow is a thing of beauty created by God which holds an attraction for me, it's also because when I see a rainbow it reminds me that God is faithful, that he is a maker and keeper of promises and for me it's a reminder that he is present in the world today.

At one time or another we will all face the storms of life, these storms vary in length and intensity and can come from a variety of sources, such as facing a serious illness, a financial crisis, a marriage breakdown, the loss of a loved one, unemployment, a rebellious child etc.  But I believe that in these storms God sends us "a rainbow moment" when we get a glimpse of his presence with us in the storm and reminds us that we're not facing the storm alone, that he cares and he's right there with us, when he proves his faithfulness once again to us, when he reminds us that he will keep the promises he's made to us, that we will come through the storm and that we won't be blown over and we won't be consumed by it.  That he will give us the power and strength we need to stand and to stand firm!  God says to each one of us "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.  When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.  When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.  For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour." Isaiah 43:2-3 (NLT)  And Peter gives this word of encouragement to his readers: "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.  Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are."  1 Peter 5: 8-9 (NLT)

These "rainbow moments" don't necessarily need to take place in a church building, although they may do as we gather with our church family.  A "rainbow moment" can happen through a worship song you hear on a CD, during a time of quiet alone with God, through a passage of the bible, you may experience it whilst out for a walk along the beach, it can be seen when your husband comes home with a bunch of flowers for you, when you share a precious moment with your child as you settle them down for the night, when a friend invites you out for a coffee, or phones you up because they felt God prompting them to ring you, although they didn't know why.  These are special "rainbow moments" when God via a variety of means, connects with you in your storm to remind you that he knows, and more importantly he cares, that he has not left you alone, that he is with you always and that this storm, like any other, will pass.

But these special "rainbow moments" can easily be missed by us.  Just like I would have missed the rainbow last Monday morning if I had been sleeping.  If we are too focused on the storm itself - the darkness that's trying to consume us, the wind trying to knock us down and keep us down, the rain trying to flood us and make us feel like we're drowning in the onslaught, then we fail to recognise and fail to see God's "rainbow moment" that he's created especially for us.

As we continue to seek God, to believe in his faithfulness and love for us, as we spend time in his presence, praying and reading the bible, we will be more tuned in to him, and more aware so that we can learn to see and recognise these "rainbow moments".

To Think About:
Look back over the storms of your life.  As you do so, can you recognise any "rainbow moments" God has given you?

Are you in a storm right now?  Ask God to help you see his presence with you and ask him for a "rainbow moment".

It may be that God wants you to be that "rainbow moment" in the life of another person.  Listen to the promptings he places in your heart and thoughts and then do something about with it. 


Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?