St Patrick's Prayer

Dear Friends,
St. Patrick's Prayer

St Patrick's Day is celebrated on 17th March. Now, whilst I've heard of him and am familiar with a part of one of his prayers I knew next to nothing about him so I decided I'd google him. I discovered he lived in the fifth century and he is the patron saint of Ireland. He was born in Roman Britain and was kidnapped and taken to Ireland when he was sixteen years old. He did manage to escape but later returned to Ireland where he was credited with bringing Christianity to the Irish.

I learned of a legend surrounding him that he explained about the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit) using the leaves of the Irish clover as an illustration.

Below is part of one of St Patrick's prayers, known as 'Morning Prayer' or 'St Patrick's Breastplate'. It's a prayer that St Patrick is said to have written when he needed to know God's protection and strength.

I arise today 
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.

I arise today
Through the strength of Christ's birth with His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion with His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection with His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgement of doom...

I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me, God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me, God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me, God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me from snares of devils,
From temptation of vices, from everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and near...

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise, 
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.

This prayer is grounded in scripture. I would say much of it seems to come from the psalms. What a great prayer to pray as we start the day. 

As we recognise our human weakness and frailty and the need we have for God's strength living in us:

God is awesome in his sanctuary. The God of Israel gives power and strength to his people. Psalm 68:35 (NLT)

As we ask for God's guidance and protection as we step out into the day ahead of us:

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8 (NLT)

Knowing that he hears our voice and has his hand on us:

I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Psalm 116:1 (NLT)

Trusting in the promise that God is with us all the time whatever we are doing, wherever we are. That he goes with us, goes before us and goes behind us:

You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Psalm 139:5 [read v2-5] (NLT)

As I said, what a great prayer to pray as we begin each day. What confidence and courage and strength we can receive from God as we pray this to him.

Over the years people have voiced and written down for us some truly beautiful prayers (including those found in the Bible). I like to read prayers written by others - prayers which come from the heart and express what I am feeling myself yet sometimes struggle to put into words. What a gift these prayers written by others can be to us when we make them our own prayers.

To Think About:
Why not take the words of St. Patrick's prayer and pray them for yourself?

What other prayers in the Bible mean a lot to you and why is this?

Have you found other people's prayers helpful and a blessing too?

Vicki

If you enjoyed reading this devotional blog, then you may like to know that I have two devotional books both of which are available to buy from Amazon. (The content of these books is material adapted from past blog posts.)



This is my latest book, published in November 2018.
"Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" Volume 2. 


The book's format is the same as my first one with the added extra of room for journalling after each devotion. To learn more, click here






"Dear Friend... Vol 1 is available from Amazon as a paperback book and also to download on Kindle.

Right now the paperback version is at the reduced price of £4.40 (usually £6.99)

To learn more, please click here


















Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?