Book Review: Remarkable Hope by Shauna Letellier

Dear Friends,

As an email subscriber to Shauna Letellier's blog, I had the joy being invited to be a part of her book launch team on Facebook for her new book "Remarkable Hope: When Jesus Revived Hope in Disappointed People" and I jumped at the opportunity as I love the way she writes.

'Remarkable Hope' is the kind of book I like to read.
I like books which focus on the men and women of the Bible and which help us to understand their lives a bit better and the culture they lived in. There is so much to learn from these Biblical characters which can be of benefit to us in our personal journey with God. 

Shauna uses her knowledge and understanding of the Bible, insights she has gained from studying it, research she has undertaken and her God-given gift of imagination to bring us a creative retelling of the lives of various Bible men and women. 

She brings all these things together in her latest book 'Remarkable Hope' and does it in such a way that each character comes to life as she shares their story, their thoughts and emotions. As I read this book, I realised afresh how these men and women are just like you and me with their strengths and weaknesses, their fears and their faith, their doubts and their hope. Through it all shines the truth that our hope truly is in God alone. A God who often works in unexpected ways. 

Shauna clearly demonstrates throughout her book that “Biblical hope is expectant certainty. It is knowing that Christ guarantees everything he has promised and purchased.” (from Remarkable Hope)

In ‘Remarkable Hope’ we read about some of the events in the lives of Simeon, John the Baptist, Jairus, Mary, Martha and Lazarus, Peter, Mary the Mother of Jesus and the two disciples on the Emmaus Road. Each chapter ends with a beautifully worded prayer. 

Shauna’s book is more than just a retelling of the lives of these Bible characters. Out of her creative retelling, she provides the reader with spiritual insight and lessons to be applied to our own lives and the things we face. For me, this is what takes her book to another level. Because, to be honest, I don’t just want to read about the lives of these people, I want to learn from them. I want a book which helps take me further in my own faith in God. 

As I read through this book, I found I was highlighting so much. Words written by Shauna which were founded on Scripture and which spoke deeply to my heart and encouraged me. I believe this will be the case for anyone who reads her book. 

There are lots of quotes I could share with you but here’s just one: 

“Our hope is the secured certainty that Jesus is present in every dizzying disappointment. As we trust him, we will find he does not disappoint. He sets us on the course he always intended for his kingdom and his glory. As his trusting children, we get a front-row seat to his wild and surprising plan, which unfolds exactly as he knew it would.” (from Remarkable Hope)

Shauna writes in her introduction: 

“My prayer is that through this series of Bible moments retold, we who have clung to Christ will be greatly encouraged. As we observe his faithful commitment to those who hope in him, we will be wowed by his unseen plan, comforted by his words, and revived by his presence. We will finally chime in with Paul and declare that our ‘hope does not disappoint’ us. Because when we are downcast and disturbed, our hope is in God, who gives more than we can imagine but rarely what we expect.” (from Remarkable Hope)

For me, what I read in her book does answer her prayer. So why not read it and see for yourself? 

I do like these kinds of books to have a study guide included because, for me, they add to the reading experience, whether they are used by the individual reading the book or a group using it in their book club or church small group. 

Although there isn’t a study guide included within the book, if you go to Shauna’s website (click here) she has provided a study guide as a free resource to download for anyone who is interested. 

'Remarkable Hope' can be purchased at all good bookstores including AmazonWordery and Eden




Shauna Letellier is the author of Remarkable Hope: When Jesus Revived Hope in Disappointed People. Drawing upon her degree in Biblical Studies, she weaves strands of history, theology, and fictional detail into a fresh retelling of familiar Bible stories in her books and on her blog. With her husband Kurt, she has the wild and hilarious privilege of raising three boys along the banks of the Missouri River where they fish, swim, and rush off to ball games.


Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?