Reflecting On My Past Year

Dear Friends,
Reflecting on the past year


I know many of us take advantage of a new year to reflect over the past year. I imagine that last year for you was probably like mine - one of highs and lows.

If you've gone through some difficult times last year, it can be easy to glance back and remember only the bad times and conclude that the whole year was just awful. I know for myself, I can be so quick to focus on the negative. There were some difficult, unpleasant times for me last year. I had several hospital appointments and it seemed like I was always going to see my Doctor about one issue or another. We also faced hard days with our family. The year ended with a bad spell of migraines for me and another horrendous migraine the very first day of the new year. With my thoughts fixed on those things, it's easy for me to conclude that the whole of last year was awful and that this year will be no different. Especially as I can tend to be something of a pessimist. 

But when I actually take the time and sit with God to reflect on my past year, I remember how it really was. The truth is that whilst there were some unpleasant times, there was much which was also really good and I have a lot to be thankful for. Even in the difficult times, I know God has been with me in them. He never left me to face them on my own. 

There were highs such as my son, Josh, getting engaged to a lovely Christian girl; taking my parents to Belgium for a few days to celebrate a milestone in their birthdays; self-publishing my second devotional book, and the joy of living out the calling God has placed on my life.

Jason, my husband was such a help and support during 2018 when it came to my writing. He and I have been able to get away for short breaks, such as staying with my sister and her family and attend Spring Harvest (a Christian Conference).

What has also meant so much to me are the friendships which have grown and developed over the year. For those who have been good friends to me through the good and the bad. The start of a new friendship with another lady at church. And also the friends I have made through Facebook groups such as the ACW (Association of Christian Writers) and through being part of several book launch teams. These friendships have proved to be a real blessing to me throughout last year.

If I believe the whole year was awful, this affects my emotions and my thoughts in a negative way, but I have a far better outlook when I look back over the year with God and see it as it really was. And I can remind myself that even through the hard times God was still there with me in it all.

This reminds me of a certain part of Jacob and Joseph's story. You can read it all in Genesis 37 - 50. To summarise, Jacob was grieving the loss of his favourite son, Joseph, and then he is told that his other sons need to take Benjamin, his youngest, with them on their next visit to Egypt if they are to be given any grain. This is his response:

Jacob exclaimed, “You are robbing me of my children! Joseph is gone! Simeon is gone! And now you want to take Benjamin, too. Everything is going against me!”... My son will not go down with you. His brother Joseph is dead, and he is all I have left. If anything should happen to him on your journey, you would send this grieving, white-haired man to his grave.” Genesis 42:36 & 38 (NLT)

His response is a natural human reaction to what has been and is still, a very difficult time in his life. He believes everything is going against him and that Benjamin is all he has left.  His emotions are clouding his thinking and so he is not able to see the truth. The truth is, that despite his trials, not everything is going against him because God is still with him. God has not deserted him and is still blessing his life. Benjamin is not all he has left, he has his other sons and he is a wealthy, successful man. Can you imagine what he would have said to you after reflecting on his year?

On the other hand, Joseph responds very differently to his trials. He has been sold into slavery by his brothers, falsely accused, and thrown into prison. He has been separated from his father for many years and yet he is able to say to his brothers:


“Please, come closer,” he said to them. So they came closer. And he said again, “I am Joseph, your brother, whom you sold into slavery in Egypt. But don’t be upset, and don’t be angry with yourselves for selling me to this place. It was God who sent me here ahead of you to preserve your lives. This famine that has ravaged the land for two years will last five more years, and there will be neither plowing nor harvesting. God has sent me ahead of you to keep you and your families alive and to preserve many survivors. So it was God who sent me here, not you! And he is the one who made me an adviser to Pharaoh—the manager of his entire palace and the governor of all Egypt." Genesis 45:4-8 (NLT)

And:
You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people. Genesis 50:20 (NLT)

Joseph has gone through so much but throughout he has fixed his eyes on God. He is aware of how God has been with him and working good from bad. What do you think would have come out of his reflecting on his year?

Jacob and Joseph have both experienced terrible suffering, yet their perspective on this time is totally different. Jacob has lost sight of God and can only see what is bad, which leads to negative, unhealthy emotions, words and actions. Joseph, on the other hand, has focused on God and sensed him with him every step of the way, working good from what can only be described as bad. This is evident in his speech and actions.

I know which Bible character's example I'd rather follow. How about you?

To Think About:
If you haven't already done so, spend some time with God reflecting on 2018. What can you thank God for? Are you able to see how God was with you even during difficult times?

What has the year taught you about yourself and about God?

What lessons can you take with you into 2019?

Vicki

If you enjoyed reading this devotional blog, then you may like to know that I have two devotional books both of which are available to buy from Amazon. (The content of these books is material adapted from past blog posts.)


This is my latest book, published in November 2018.

"Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" Volume 2. 

The book's format is the same as my first one with the added extra of room for journalling after each devotion. To learn more, click here







"Dear Friend... Vol 1 is available from Amazon as a paperback book and also to download on Kindle.

To learn more, please click here


















Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?