I Dreamed A Dream

Dear Friends,
I Dreamed A Dream

If you're thinking this is going to be about the song from the musical, "Les Miserables" you'd be wrong. I chose this title to get your attention - I wonder if it worked? Although I'm not writing about that particular song I am writing about a dream I had.

Experts tell us that everyone dreams each night but whilst some people wake up aware that they have dreamed during the night, others have no memory of theirs. I am in the former group, I don't think there's a day when I don't wake up and remember the dream/s I've had during the night. I'm not quite sure what this says about the quality of my sleep!

It doesn't usually take me long to forget my dreams, although very occasionally I will remember a special dream. 

I want to share one with you which I had more than twenty-five years ago, it greatly encouraged me and gave me such joy at the time and continues to do so when I remember it. In the Bible, dreams were one of the ways God chose to communicate with his people and I believe he can still use our dreams as a way of saying something to us.

In my dream, I was at home with my parents and my sister. We were sitting at the dining room table having a meal together when there was a knock at the door. I jumped up to answer it with no idea as to who was behind the door. To my surprise and joy when I opened it, I found Jesus standing there. I still remember to this day how I felt in my dream. I was filled with such joy and a sense of privilege that I, out of everyone at home, was the one who got to open the door and greet Jesus. I can't fully put into words how amazing the experience was. Some parts of the dream are vague, I think I invited him in. Then later on in my dream, Jesus was continuing to knock on doors down the street and people would come out and follow him. I remember being one of the many who was following him as he continued to walk on, knocking on people's doors. I can remember turning to the people around me as we walked, and sharing with great excitement that I was the one to answer when he knocked on our door. I was full of such joy. I sensed that Jesus had returned to earth and was bringing everyone together who loved him and he was leading us all to heaven to be with God.

When I woke the following morning the dream was still fresh in my mind. Never before or since have I had such a beautiful dream which filled me with such joy and peace. Whenever I think about that dream I still experience the emotions I felt all those years back.

Why am I telling you this? 

Well, it reminds me of the verses in Revelation where Jesus says:

“Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends." Revelation 3:20 (NLT)

Jesus stands at the door of my heart, your heart and he knocks waiting for our response. Just as he knocked on the door in my dream and waited for me to open the door. He could have just appeared inside my home. He doesn't need to knock. He doesn't force his way into our hearts. And yet he knocks because he wants us to invite him in. He wants us to open our hearts to him and allow him access to the whole of our heart. 

Jesus said, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them." John 14:23 (NLT)

I was so happy to invite Jesus into my home in my dream, but am I that full of joy and that sense of privilege when answering as he knocks on my heart and inviting him in? Do I welcome him and tell him to make himself at home? Or do I begrudgingly let him in and tell him that certain areas are out of bounds?

What is it Jesus finds in my heart and your heart as he indwells us? Is there anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, envy, pride, lust etc? Or is our heart changing and becoming more like him? Does he find a heart which desires to submit to him and do the things which please him? A heart of joy, compassion, love, kindness, forgiveness etc?

There's so many books and TV Shows providing us with help to de-clutter our homes. But will we give Jesus the key to our heart and invite him into every area and ask him to help us to de-clutter our hearts, minds and souls? Will we ask for his help to remove clutter that shouldn't be there so that we then have the space in our hearts, minds and souls for things which are good and pleasing to him?

When I look at the clutter in my home it can seem an overwhelming and impossible task to accomplish. It can feel like that when we look and see all that's inside us, but Jesus is available to help us. He's willing to come into our mess and work with us, but once again he waits for the invitation to do so.

Are you ready to ask for his help and invite him to help you deep clean your heart?

We can pray like David did:

Create in me a clean heart, O God.

Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10 (NLT)


God says to us:
“Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations. Ezekiel 36:25-27 (NLT)

To Think About:
Imagine Jesus came and knocked on your door. What would your thoughts and feelings be as you opened the door to him?

Are you giving Jesus access to all areas of your heart or are you withholding some?

Ask Jesus to reveal to you the state of your heart and then ask him to help you to de-clutter and remove anything that shouldn't be there.

Vicki

If you enjoyed reading this devotional blog, then you may like to know that I have two devotional books both of which are available to buy from Amazon. (The content of these books is material adapted from past blog posts.)


This is my latest book, published in November 2018.

"Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" Volume 2. 

The book's format is the same as my first one with the added extra of room for journalling after each devotion. To learn more, click here





"Dear Friend... Vol 1 is available from Amazon as a paperback book and also to download on Kindle.

To learn more, please click here




















Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?