The Gift of God's Presence

If you would like to listen to today's devotional, please click here

Dear Friends,
The Gift of God's Presence

At that time the Roman emperor, Augustus, decreed that a census should be taken throughout the Roman Empire. (This was the first census taken when Quirinius was governor of Syria.) All returned to their own ancestral towns to register for this census. And because Joseph was a descendant of King David, he had to go to Bethlehem in Judea, David’s ancient home. He travelled there from the village of Nazareth in Galilee. He took with him Mary, to whom he was engaged, who was now expecting a child. Luke 2:1-5 (NLT) 

Here’s my creative retelling of part of Mary’s story before Jesus is born. As you read, listen to what God may be wanting to say to you through it.



It's been almost nine months since I said yes to God. This time has not always been easy. Being misunderstood and judged by those around me has been incredibly painful at times. But, I am learning to hand over my pain to God, who knows and loves me. 

And despite the times of pain, I've also known such blessing in these past months. God has been with me in a way I've never known before, and His presence has brought me such a peace. I don't know where I would be today without His constant presence. 

I keep reminding myself of God's word to me: that nothing is impossible for him and that I am loved and chosen by him. It gives me the courage and the strength I need to live in obedience to him. I spend time meditating on God and His faithfulness to me and to his people. I remember the things I've been taught from a young age. How God chose ordinary people like David, Gideon and Esther. And of course, my elderly relative, Elizabeth, to bear the one who would point the way to the Messiah. 

To be honest, this is not how I imagined my life would be when I first dreamed of marrying Joseph. 

I have experienced such a wide range of emotions these past months. My mother assures me that this is quite normal during a pregnancy. One moment I can be smiling, the next moment I'm in floods of tears. At other times, fear can start to take hold as I think about the enormity of being a mother myself, not to just any child, but to the Son of God. "What if I fail? What if I'm not good enough as a mother?" Then I feel Jesus move within me and I'm reminded that God is with me. I am not alone and I don't need to do this in my own strength. I'm humbled that God has chosen such as me and all within me cries out to God to have his way in my life. 

There's a knock at my door. It's Joseph and he seems to be having trouble containing his excitement. 

"Mary. Come. See what I've been working on," he says as he grabs my hand, urging me to hurry to his workshop, not realising that at this stage of my pregnancy it's impossible for me to move quickly. 

He shows me the crib he has lovingly fashioned from wood. "I wanted to make something special for Jesus. I want him to grow up knowing he is loved and wanted by both his mother and me. What do you think?" He's eager for my response.

"Oh, Joseph, it's lovely. It's perfect!" Once again, tears come easily. But this time they are tears of joy and gratitude for this good man who accepts me and accepts this child I am carrying as his own. I am so blessed to still have Joseph in my life. A godly man who has chosen to remain by my side no matter what.

A week has passed since Joseph showed me the crib he had made. Jesus could be born any day now. But today when Joseph comes to my door, I see by the look on his face that something is very wrong. 

"We need to leave Nazareth," he tells me. "The Emperor has issued that a census is taken, and we need to go to my birth town, Bethlehem, to register." 

Fear fills my heart. "But we can't. The baby is due any day now. All the preparations are in place. The midwife has promised to be here when I need her, my mother's here to help me. I can't do this without them. I can't do it alone!" 

Joseph wraps his strong arms around me, holding me up just as my knees start to buckle under me. "I know, I know," he says soothingly. "But it's the law and we have to obey." 

I know he's right, but it doesn't make me feel any better. It means leaving everyone and everything behind. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see the crib Joseph has made. I know we will not be able to take it with us and I break down in tears. 

That night, I toss and turn, unable to sleep. My mind is full of doubts and fears and worries. This is not how I expected life to be. I don't know if I'll be able to cope with the long journey to Bethlehem. How will I manage when it is time to give birth? What will happen? But in the midst of my turmoil, God reminds me of the angel's visit and the words he spoke to me: 

“Greetings, Mary. The Lord is with you! Don’t be afraid. You have found favour with God! You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. Nothing is impossible with God." 

I remember my response:

"I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true." 

My heart and soul are filled once more with the peace of God as I start to drift off to sleep. My life may not be going as I had planned. I may not know what the future holds for either myself or my son. But I do know God is with me and that he goes before me. There is no need to fear because my trust and my hope are in Him.

To Think About:
Has there been a time in your life when you have said yes to God, even though you have not fully understood what it may mean for you? 

What gives you the courage and perseverance you need to keep following God's will for you? 


Christmas is about God finding a way to be with us. It's about God offering us a whole new life with him, giving us everlasting love, joy, hope and peace. Have you accepted the gift he's offering you?

Vicki 


If you enjoyed reading this devotional blog, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon, on Kindle or in paperback. (Its content is material adapted from past blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:













https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/bloggergrid














https://www.faithfulbloggers.com











Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?