Mary Anoints Jesus - A Creative Retelling

Dear Friends,

If you would prefer to listen to this devotional then please click here

Today I want to focus on the account of Mary anointing Jesus' feet which can be found in John 12:1-8, Matthew 26:6-13, and Mark 14:3-9. Below is my creative re-telling of this event which I have based on the accounts found in the gospels: and other events in the life of Mary. I tell it from Mary's perspective. It might help you to look at her story with fresh eyes. God may have something new he wants to say to you, or he may want to remind you of something.


(You may like to imagine yourself as Mary or as one of the other dinner guests.)


I've experienced such a range of emotions lately as there's been some real high and low points in my life. It wasn't that long ago that my brother, Lazarus, became sick. He was so ill in fact that my sister, Martha, and I sent for Jesus to come. We waited and waited but he didn't show up and Lazarus died. If you've lost someone you love you'll know the grief my sister and I experienced. Added to that was the intense disappointment in Jesus. Yet, when he did eventually arrive, he did something beyond what we could have imagined or hoped for. He raised our dear brother from the dead. Yes, he did. He really did! I'm convinced that Jesus is God's Son. Who else but God has the power to raise someone from the dead? 


Every time I think about it, my heart swells with love and gratitude for all Jesus has done for us. It's not just that though, he's also changed us. When I look at Martha I see someone so contented and satisfied with her life. She has found her calling in serving others, putting them at ease, making them feel at home as soon as they step over the threshold. Lazarus, well, he loves Jesus like a brother and cannot stop himself from telling anyone who will listen (and those who don't want to listen!) all that Jesus means to him. He makes the most of every day, so thankful for his second chance at life. 



And me, well, I've always been quiet and introverted. I'd far rather listen and think than talk. I like to keep in the background and not be noticed. But now, more than anything, I like to be in Jesus' presence and learn from him. Never before has a teacher allowed a woman to be a disciple of his, yet Jesus has welcomed me as such. It was a bit hard at first, it meant having to step out of my comfort zone. You can imagine the raised eyebrows from the men around him, including Lazarus. But as they saw Jesus accept me, they too accepted me. Jesus has given me the courage to step out, to live differently and it's been incredibly freeing.



It's just under a week until we celebrate the Passover feast and Jesus is with us again. I know how happy Martha is to open our home to him once more. She has prepared some amazing food for his evening meal. She's been singing to herself as she's gone about it. This is no act of duty, it's a pure act of love. Although I help Martha in the kitchen, cooking is definitely not my gifting. I've lost count of the times I've left the bread to burn in the oven whilst my mind has been elsewhere! 



I want to show Jesus my love and gratitude like Martha's been doing as she cooks. I want to give him something in return for all he has given me. I want it to be special, something that shows him just how much he means to me. Something out of the ordinary. But what can I do? I look at Jesus as he sits at our table. He's comfortable here amongst his friends. You can see it in his face, the way he sits and the things he says. But there's something else I see in his eyes, a hint of sadness and pain, not visible to the casual observer. I sense deep within me that the journey ahead is not going to be an easy one for him. I can't explain it, but somehow, I know that he will not be with us much longer. We have all heard the rumours about how the religious leaders really feel about Jesus. Actually, it's more than rumours now because they have publicly declared they want to have him arrested. 



Then it comes to me as I'm sitting here and I know just what I can do, what I have to do. Have you ever had that? In your heart, you sense you are being told what you should do, and it's so unexpected, so unlike you and the usual thoughts that go around in your head, that you know it's something more, something bigger. Could it be God prompting me? I don't know. I just know I've got to do it. Yet it's scary. Once again, it's outside of my comfort zone, it means getting noticed. I want to do it. It feels right. But what will others think? What will they say? I remind myself that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's between Jesus and me. He'll understand why I'm doing it. He'll see it for what it really is. It seems as though I've been going back and forth in my mind, questioning myself for such a long time. In reality, it's probably only been a matter of seconds. 

As I'm thinking I feel Jesus' gaze on me. Those eyes which moments before held a hint of sadness, now smile at me. Again, I feel his love for me as his dear friend, as his sister. As he smiles at me it seems as though he gives me a slight nod of his head. 

I stand up, I'm going to do it now before I change my mind or talk myself out of it. I know if I don't, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. This is my way of expressing my adoration and devotion to Jesus. Martha has given her best to Jesus, I want to give my best too. 

I slip out of the room, unnoticed and come back with my beautiful alabaster jar. I hold it carefully because it is so precious to me. Nothing else I have comes close to this. Within the jar is the most incredible smelling valuable perfume, made from nard. I've been keeping it for my dowry. But that isn't important now. I want to demonstrate to Jesus how much I love him. I want to show him I surrender my hopes, dreams, plans, will, future into his hands. It's a sacrifice I want to make. He is worth it. I want to show him I trust him and that I am holding nothing back. But not only that, it is something I want to do just for him. 

I kneel right in front of Jesus. People notice me now. Yet, I'm not really aware of them at all. This isn't some display to get their attention. My focus is wholly taken up with Jesus as I pour out the perfume on his feet. I gently rub it in and as I do the sweet aroma fills not just the room, but our whole home. I wipe his feet with my hair. I can only describe the moment as holy. From within, my heart tells me that I have done something right and good. I am filled with a warm glow. 

But then, I hear the remarks of those around me. Judas' is the loudest saying "What a waste! That was worth nearly a year's wages. She should have sold it and then it could have been given to the poor." Others listen to what Judas is saying and add their voices to his, criticising me and openly scolding me. 

I feel as though I have been doused with cold water. Had I got it so wrong? Had I misheard my inner voice? My eyes fill with unshed tears. I am so embarrassed. Their voices, the things they said, make me feel ashamed of what I have done. I feel guilty for doing what everyone else has said was so wrong. I bow my head, I can't look anyone in the eye and definitely cannot face Jesus. What must he think of me? My act of devotion feels tainted. 

But then Jesus speaks up and immediately everyone else falls silent. You see, when Jesus speaks, you listen. "Leave her alone," he says. "You will always have the poor with you and there will be plenty of opportunities to be good to them, but I will not always be here. Mary has done a good and beautiful thing. She has done it in preparation for my death and burial."  

As Jesus speaks, his words soothe my soul. He has seen beyond my actions and looked at my heart. He understands me as no one else can. I am accepted and approved by him. Peace and well-being are restored once more to my soul. 

I know this day will shape the way I live from now on. As I have poured out my precious perfume on Jesus, I will continue to pour out my life for him. To always give him my best. I will live for him and him alone, knowing I am loved, accepted and approved. 

Jesus says people will be telling my story for years and years to come. That they will remember me. I don't know about that. But I hope that if they do, my story will inspire them to give their all to God and hold nothing back. To gladly sacrifice what they hold most dear in response to his sacrifice for us, once and for all.

Mary's actions were ones of:

1. Love.

Her love was selfless and genuine, based on God's love for her. Her love was sacrificial, she was giving up what gave her security for her future. Her love was extravagant, in one of the gospels we are told that she broke the jar. She gave all that she had and held nothing back. 



2. Faith. 
What she did was an act of worship, she knew only God is worthy of our worship. She was trusting God with her future, with her whole being, surrendering everything to him. She also saw something of the purpose of Jesus' life and knew that the journey ahead for him would involve pain and suffering. In pouring out the oil on Jesus she was preparing him for his death and burial. 

3. Courage.
Mary moved out of her comfort zone. If you read Luke 10:38-42, you will see how she had already shown courage by moving out of her comfort zone. She would sit at Jesus' feet to listen to him teach, to be his disciple. In their day, only men took on the role of a disciple - until Jesus came along and changed the culture of the day. Her earlier act of courage, I believe, helped her to act boldly this time. Mary was more concerned about pleasing Jesus and having his approval than worrying about what others thought of her. It was this desire which also gave her the courage to step out. If we worry too much about what others may think of us we will never step out in faith. 

Like Mary, when we step out and live for God, it is quite likely we will face criticism and misunderstanding from those around us. She was criticised by those who also loved and followed Jesus. But take encouragement from the truth that Jesus always understands us even if others don't. He is able to look into our heart – he sees our motives.


When we act in love, act in faith and act with courage, he assures us that we are doing a good and beautiful thing for him.


To Think About:
What stood out to me from the creative re-telling of Mary anointing Jesus? 

Do I give Jesus my best when it comes to my time, my resources, my gifts etc? Do I consider Jesus worth the cost? 



Does fear of people's misunderstanding or criticising my actions stop me from doing what I believe God is calling me to do? 


Will I follow Mary's example and daily choose to:
  • act in love? 
  • act in faith? 
  • act with courage?
Vicki

If what you read was of interest to you, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon, on Kindle or in paperback. (Its content is material adapted from past blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:












Today's devotional is based on a recent message I gave in my home church. If you would like to listen, please click here (Sunday 11th March)

https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/bloggergrid











https://www.faithfulbloggers.com

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?