When You Don't Know What To Do

(This is a revised post of my Hope for Today devotional, "What to do when you don't know what to do" from 4/07/ 2014)


Dear Friends,


I've recently had another intense period of migraines which was a real struggle to get through. I find that when I'm not feeling well physically, the whole of my being also suffers. I became quite low having to deal with the pain which was constant for a few days, then lifted for a day or two, only to then return. When it's like that I also find my mind is affected. I don't think clearly. Everything gets blown out of proportion. I become frustrated with the time that is wasted when I have to stay in bed and not able to function on a "normal" level (whatever that may be). Then too there is the spiritual side of it. It's tough when I believe that there are things that God has called me to do, which I have to put to one side at times like these. When all I really want to do is just get on with them.

It felt more than just a physical battle. I believe I was also facing a spiritual battle and I felt battle weary.


I wonder if you are facing a battle right now? You may be battling poor health, or perhaps you are in a battle for the soul of a loved one, or caring for an elderly relative, maybe the battle is work related, or you have an unfulfilled dream, or you are experiencing guilt over something you did or was done to you in the past, or you're battling an addiction. Whatever it is, it's leaving you battle weary. You are struggling to keep going, struggling to go from one day to the next. Feeling as though there is no release, and you just don't know what to do. 


God gave me some encouragement during this time and I want to pass it on to you that you too may be encouraged. 


One morning in my quiet time with God I was reading 2 Chronicles 20. King Jehoshaphat of Judah was facing war with the surrounding nations and he was afraid. In his fear he turned to God and prayed, “O Lord, God of our ancestors, you alone are the God who is in heaven. You are ruler of all the kingdoms of the earth. You are powerful and mighty; no one can stand against you!...O our God, won’t you stop them? We are powerless against this mighty army that is about to attack us. We do not know what to do, but we are looking to you for help.” v6 and 12 (NLT)  



One of the men of Judah was given this word from God: "Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’s16 Tomorrow, march out against them. You will find them coming up through the ascent of Ziz at the end of the valley that opens into the wilderness of Jeruel. 17 But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the Lord’s victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out against them tomorrow, for the Lord is with you!"  The response of the King and the people was to worship God.



Then "Early the next morning the army of Judah went out into the wilderness of Tekoa. On the way Jehoshaphat stopped and said, 'Listen to me, all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Believe in the Lord your God, and you will be able to stand firm. Believe in his prophets, and you will succeed.' After consulting the people, the king appointed singers to walk ahead of the army, singing to the Lord and praising him for his holy splendour. This is what they sang: 'Give thanks to the Lordfaithful love endures forever!' At the very moment they began to sing and give praise, the Lord caused the armies of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir to start fighting among themselves." v20-22 




Here are some of the things God showed me:

1. When facing any battle and I don't know what to do, when I feel too weak to do anything, recognise that God is strong and powerful. Look to him for help and keep my eyes on him.

2. God tells me not to be afraid, not to be discouraged, because this battle I'm in is not mine, but his. Therefore, he is responsible for the victory. I can experience victory in him. I don't need to keep fighting this battle on my own, in my own feeble strength. 




3. The position I take is to "stand still".  I am commanded to stand firm in the Lord, by exercising my faith in him, believing in his word, that he will do what he has promised to do. Standing firm, knowing that he is right there with me and I do not face my battle alone. 



In Exodus you can read the account of when Moses led God's people out of slavery in Egypt. The Egyptians pursued them and the Israelites were caught between a rock and a hard place (in other words between the Egyptians and the Red Sea). Moses told the people: “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. 14 The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” Exodus 14:13-14 (NLT) You may like to read the whole chapter to see exactly what God did for them.  


4. Worshiping God, giving him my thanks and praise can open the way for God to do something powerful and to work a miracle in the battle.  It was "At the very moment they began to sing and praise" that God provided them with the victory. I have to admit that I struggled with this one. If I'm honest, singing and praising is the last thing I felt like doing! I don't even know where to begin when I feel like this! But we are called to do this and in Hebrews 13:15 it says "Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name." (NLT) 



By praising God I'm professing that he is Lord of my life and that I am a loyal and devoted follower of my King. I can use my worship CDs to offer God my sacrifice of praise and I find that when I do, a change happens in my heart, and I am enabled to sing and give praise to God.


To Think About:
Has there been a time in the past when you have seen God provide you with a victory in the midst of a battle?

If you feel like you're in a battle today is there one of the four points above that God is telling you to apply to your situation?  Or is there something else God has revealed to you in 2 Chronicles 20?

How can you help someone you know who is facing and struggling with a battle?

Vicki



If  what you read was of interest to you, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon. (It's content is material adapted from previous blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:

"Dear Friend..." by Vicki Cottingham 

Comments

  1. Agatha Finch09/04/2017, 14:03

    Sorry to hear of your continuing poor health, Vicki. It can wear you down. I'm battling a health problem at the moment, too ... but your words in this post is spot on. I pray to never take my eyes from Jesus and to always praise Him ... also, to try not to get too discouraged and frightened. Thank you and I hope you start to feel better soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. I think keeping our eyes fixed on God is crucial, especially during battles x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?