Keeping In Step With The Holy Spirit

Dear Friends,


We bought a Shih Tzu puppy last September. (Being a fan of The Hunger Games Movies, my daughter named our puppy Rue.) Rue gives us a whole lot of love. Actually, she'll willingly give anyone love who pays her any attention. Whenever the doorbell rings she runs excitedly to the front door believing that the visitor must be coming to see her!

When I take her out for a walk I'm struck by the similarities between her walk and my walk with my Lord and Saviour.

Rue does not like to walk in step with me. Instead, she prefers to go at her own pace, whether it's faster because she's excited to be outside, or slower because she's interested in what's around her. She wants to be in charge of her own walk. She doesn't want to have to submit to my wishes.

She gets easily distracted. New smells fascinate her and she'll slow down to investigate. If she sees another dog ahead of her, she'll pull at the lead as she rushes to keep up with them. If she sees someone going in another direction she'll want to take their route rather than the one I've already decided on. 

Paul writes in Galatians 5:16-17, 25 16 Here’s my instruction: walk in the Spirit, and let the Spirit bring order to your life. If you do, you will never give in to your selfish and sinful cravings. 17 For everything the flesh desires goes against the Spirit, and everything the Spirit desires goes against the flesh. There is a constant battle raging between them that prevents you from doing the good you want to do...25 Now since we have chosen to walk with the Spirit, let’s keep each step in perfect sync with God’s Spirit. (VOICE)

Just as Rue needs to learn to walk to heel, I need to learn to walk in step with the Holy Spirit. God has my journey mapped out and he is there to walk with me every step of the way.

The problem is I sometimes want to be in control. I want to be in charge of my own journey. Sometimes I want to set the pace of my Christian walk. I can be impatient, frustrated at the times when God wants me to stop, when he wants me to wait or walk slowly. There are times when I long to rush ahead. When I get a glimpse of what is to come in my journey I get excited and I want to experience it now. Other times I'm comfortable just where I am, plodding slowly along. Happy with where I'm at in life. I drag my heels not wanting to follow where God is leading or taking me. But, as I learn to walk in step with the Holy Spirit, I learn that God's will is best for me. I learn that he is taking me down the best pathway and we always go at the right pace when I follow his timing.

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your lifeI will advise you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8 (NLT)

On your walk with God do you ever find yourself distracted? I know there are times when I am! There are so many things which can distract us and take our focus from God and the path he sets before us. Not all these things are wrong, but they become wrong when they distract us from God's will for us. What kinds of things distract you? Reading a good book, watching T.V., social media, relationships, work, shopping, the internet, computer games, hobbies? Etc, etc. 

Instead of being distracted Proverbs 4:25 tells us to Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. (NLT)

Sometimes I become more interested in another's person's walk with God. I'll be honest with you, there are times when I compare my life with another's. Particularly a woman whose ministry is in the same area as mine. I'll see how their's is flourishing and how much they're doing for God and I'll wish it was me. I compare and I become dissatisfied with my life and want what they have. Again it comes down to my focus. When I focus on God and what he has called me to do and walk where he leads, then I experience the joy that's found in doing what he's created me for. When I focus on him I find purpose and satisfaction in my life.

Hebrews 12:1b-2 (AMP) let us run with endurance and active persistence the race that is set before us, [looking away from all that will distract us and] focusing our eyes on Jesus, who is the Author and Perfecter of faith.

I've been on this journey for some years now. I know that life is best when I keep in step with the Holy Spirit. When I keep in sync with his voice as he leads me. 

We're told in Isaiah 30:21 Your ears will hear sweet words behind you: "Go this way. There is your path; this is how you should go" whenever you must decide whether to turn to the right or the left." (VOICE) 

Then I go where God wants me to go and I do the things he wants me to do. Then I grow in my Christian journey and become more like Christ as the Spirit grows his fruit in me: But the fruit of the Spirit [the result of His presence within us] is love [unselfish concern for others], joy, [inner] peace, patience [not the ability to wait, but how we act while waiting], kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23 (AMP)

So I will keep making the choice to, (as the Amplified version of the Bible puts it) "walk habitually in the [Holy] Spirit [seek Him and be responsive to His guidance]". Galatians 5:16a

What you choose to walk in step with the Holy Spirit? 

To Think About:
Whose voice are you listening to regarding the pace and direction of your journey through life? Yours? Others? The world's? God's?

What difference does it make in your life when you choose to walk in step with the Holy Spirit?

What are the distractions and hindrances in your walk? What can you do about these things?

Vicki

If  what you read was of interest to you, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon. (It's content is material adapted from previous blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:

"Dear Friend..." 

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?