Down But Not Out!

Dear Friends,

Some of you will know that for nearly a year now I have been receiving help from the London Migraine Clinic.  I had another appointment with them last Thursday and came out of it feeling very down and discouraged.  I was reduced to tears and my initial emotional response was that after all these months I was back to where I'd started, still having regular migraines and being told that once again I needed a two month break from painkillers, apart from using a particular medicine which helps as a preventative and some pain relief, while I continue with the preventative medicine I've been taking for the last two months.  I didn't feel like I wanted to carry on with my life like this, it was just too hard and had got too much for me.

But I thank God that Jason was with me, he took me to a nearby cafĂ© for a hot drink, a chat and a chance to sit down and collect my thoughts.  Jason was happy to support me whatever I decided and we agreed that I was going to keep going with the advised treatment.  I don't give up easily, I'm a fighter, it's in my family genes but it's also a quality I know God has been developing over the years - the quality to persevere and endure.

In each of our lives, in our own personal journey that God calls us to take, there are times when our circumstances and things outside of our control work together to bring us down.  It may be a medical diagnosis which takes us by surprise, a death in the family, unemployment, a split in the family, money problems, a friendship turned sour, any number of things. Or perhaps we thought we were making progress when suddenly something happens and we feel as though we've taken two steps backward.  Or we thought we'd overcome a particular difficulty or temptation but we slip up over it again and we find that we're not as far on in our journey as we thought we were.

We may be down at that moment but with God on our side, with him by our side, we are not out!  Paul knew this feeling very well and he also knew he could keep going because God gave him the power to endure and persevere.  That's why he wrote in 2 Corinthians 4:7-9
"7 We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair.
We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed." (NLT)

Paul also says in his letter to the Romans "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation." Romans 5:3-4 (NLT) and James says something very similar in James 1:2-4 "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." (NLT) I don't know about you, but my first response is not always one of joy!

If you are going through a difficult time right now can I encourage you to surround yourself with a handful of people who you know will support you, will lift you up in prayer, when perhaps the last thing you want to do is pray, and will be there for you.  I know what a difference it makes to me having Jason, family members and friends on my side.

As we take this journey, which at times may feel like a gentle jog with a pleasant breeze at our backs and at other times feels like trying to walk through the mud and mire, just managing one slow step after another, I like to think about those who have gone before us and who have kept the faith, encouraging us to keep on keeping on, cheering us on from the side-lines.  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses (see Hebrews 11) to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honour beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up." Hebrews 12:1-3 (NLT)  And there's that word joy again!

Most importantly, remember that God has promised to be with us every step of the way.  I don't understand how exactly, but because he is God, he goes before us, he goes ahead, he protects from behind and he goes with us.  The prophet Isaiah gave this message to God's people to return to their homeland out of captivity, "For the Lord will go ahead of you; yes, the God of Israel will protect you from behind." Isaiah 52:12b and in Deuteronomy we have the promise that God is with us  "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV)

To Think About:

Hebrews 11 is all about the men and women of faith who have gone before us, who kept going and never gave up. Why not take some time to read the chapter as an encouragement for you to also persevere.

If you are in the midst of a difficult situation right now, rather than trying to face it alone, think about letting a few close friends know so that they can support you in it.

If your journey is relatively easy right now perhaps you can come alongside someone you know who is struggling and be a support for them.

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?