Cry Out To God

Dear Friends,

The last year or so has had some really challenging moments for me and over that time the truth of James 4:8a "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (NKJV) has become very real to me.

In those difficult, challenging times that we all face from time to time, we can feel as though we are totally alone, that no-one really understands what we're going through and that there's no-one we can rely on.  This may not be the reality of the situation, but because of the intensity or the length of the trial it is how we feel, and those feelings are very real.  I think this is what Paul felt when he wrote "At my first defence, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me... But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength," 2 Timothy 4:16-17 (NIV).

I have found in my own experience, that nothing makes me cry out to God and long to hear his voice more than when in the midst of a trial - whether that trial is physical, spiritual or emotional.  In those times there is no-one else to rely on other than God, there is nowhere else to turn.  And God is so gracious to me, that as I draw near to him, when I'm so taken up in my need of him, he does draw near to me.  In the midst of those challenges I have had some blessed times between my God and me, when I've reached the end of myself and cry out to him that I need to hear from him if I'm going to have the strength to endure, to keep following him.  I guess those challenging times are one of the ways God uses to help me to tune in to hear him speak.

I long that I would always experience that closeness with God, but my reality is that I don't.  I wonder how much I miss out on what God is wanting to say to me just because I'm not tuned in to hear from him.  Perhaps I need to be more deliberate in seeking him, not half-hearted, and more focused, letting go of distractions so that I do draw near to him, not just in the challenging moments of life, but daily.

When I have my quiet time and wait patiently and expectantly to hear him speak to me, I'm not disappointed.  But I confess that sometimes my quiet times aren't like that, sometimes my mind is distracted, sometimes I don't want to hear what he may have to say and sometimes I'm just too busy to take the time to wait.

I'm so glad that God doesn't give up on me, he keeps pursuing me, using whatever it takes to bring me back to a place where once again I long to have that closeness with him.  I love that promise in James 4:8a, that if only I will choose (and it is a matter of the will, the choice I decide to make) to draw near to God, then God will draw near to me.  And God always keeps his promises!

To Think About:
Have you experienced the blessing of that promise "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." and what has it meant to you?

What has God used in your life to prompt you to draw near to him?

What do you think you need to do to enable you to tune in to hear his voice?  Are there distractions you need to avoid/eliminate?  Do you need to stop listening to another voice which is blocking you from hearing God's voice?

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?