"I can't, but you can Lord"

Dear Friends,
I can't, but you can, Lord

For a few years now I've become more interested in contemplative prayer and it is changing the way I pray. One form of contemplative prayer is breath prayers. These are great to pray at various moments during the day and help to bring me back to an awareness of God's presence with me.

I recently read the novel 'Sensible Shoes' by Sharon Brown and I've utilised a breath prayer which came from this book. The prayer is this: "I can't, but you can, Lord."

When I face new situations or need to move out of my comfort zone, fear can be a natural emotion for me. I'm so quick to think such thoughts as: "I can't do this. I'm not good enough. This is beyond me. I'll fail." Perhaps you too feel and think similarly when you face the unknown.

The above prayer is really making a difference in the way I live and respond to different situations. First, I acknowledge I am not able to do whatever it is before me; I acknowledge before God my weakness and frailty. But I don't leave it there. If I left it there I would never do anything. I would never have the confidence to do what God is calling me to do. So, the next part of the prayer is to remind myself that whilst I can't do this on my own, God has the power to do anything and it is his power working in me which enables me to move forward. 

When I pray this prayer I'm reminding myself of various truths recorded in the Bible. Truths such as the ones mentioned below.

Paul writing to the Corinthian church says this: Each time he [God] said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9- (NLT)

What is impossible for people is possible for God. Luke 18:27 (NLT)

I have recently started a part-time job with Fegans, (a Christian Charity) as a Parent Support Co-ordinator. I am enjoying it but as with any new job, it comes with its own set of challenges. Most of the time I work from home but there are also times when I need to meet up with the team which is about thirty miles from where I live. Preparing myself for that first time took a lot of trust and reliance on God. It involved getting to know them and sorting out the best option for transport. (I usually rely on my husband to get me to and from a place and I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to being with new people and new situations.) This breath prayer was so important to me that day and enabled me to manage the experience and manage it well. At the end of the day, I had so much to give thanks to God for.

My new role also involves me going into local schools and giving them information about the new parenting programme for our area. I arrived early for one of these appointments so I sat in my car for a few minutes and quietly prayed this prayer. As I went into the school I sensed God going before me and being with me as I met with a few key members of staff. Again the outcome was positive and a real encouragement to my faith.

I've also found another use for this prayer. I don't know about you, but sometimes, when I know I can do something I can forget that the only reason I can do it is because God has gifted me to do it in the first place. If I'm not careful or mindful of God, I start to rely on myself and on my own strength and ability. So I've been praying this prayer on those occasions when I might be tempted to put my trust in myself and not trust in God. It reminds me that whilst I might think I can do whatever is before me, the only reason I can actually do it is because God is the one who really has the power and he is the one who has gifted me. I need to keep reminding myself that anything I am able to do is only because he has first enabled me to do so. I find it is helpful in keepng me humble rather than taking pride in myself.

In2 Corinthians 3:5 Paul said this: It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God. (NLT)

Or as it's worded in The Passion Translation: Yet we don't see ourselves as capable enough to do anything in our own strength, for our true competence flows from God's empowering presence. 

The breath prayer helps me to keep focused on God, the one who can do all things and who chooses to work with me, frail and weak as I am. It reminds me that all the glory goes to him and that I am his servant. It gives me the courage to step out and do what he is asking of me, not because I am confident in myself but because my confidence is in him.

I am finding this breath prayer is making such a difference to me in any and every situation.

To Think About:
Over the next few days and weeks will you try praying this breath prayer? Pray this prayer when you are afraid but also pray it when you know you're tempted to rely on yourself rather than on God. Record when you pray it and what the outcome of that prayer is. If you'd like to, please write in the comments what your experience has been so that we can encourage one another.

You may like to learn more about breath prayers. The internet is a great help with this and also gives examples of other breath prayers to use. Again, I'd love to know which breath prayer is making a difference in your life and why that is.

Vicki


If you enjoyed reading this devotional blog, then you may like to know that I have two devotional books both of which are available to buy from Amazon. (The content of these books is material adapted from past blog posts.)


Both my devotional books are available to buy through Amazon. "Dear Friend...52 Weeks to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" If you would like to know more or would like to buy a copy then please click here




Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?