Book Review: The Lethal Spectre by Donna Fletcher Crow

Dear Friends,

I was particularly looking forward to reading this book for several reasons. First, I had enjoyed a previous book from another series by Donna Fletcher Crow, secondly, this book is set in the Victorian era (I enjoy reading historical novels, and this period of history is amongst my favourites), some of it is set in Brighton, not far from where I live and, lastly, I am also drawn to books which include mystery and intrigue. I like to try to add up all the clues and discover who the suspect is before they are uncovered. I wasn't correct in my assumptions, however, I much prefer it this way round, rather than for it to be obvious from the very beginning. 

This is the fifth book in the series, Lord Danvers Investigates. I have not read any of the previous books in the series but this book can be read as a stand-alone one. However, I will now read the earlier ones as a result of enjoying this one. 

Donna has obviously carried out a great deal of research in putting this novel together. It is full of historical content. Within the pages of this novel, we learn more about the customs of the day, the clothes that were worn, the food they ate, family life (particularly of the upper class) and the activities they pursued. We learn most of this through the interactions between the various characters. 

The book also includes events happening at the time in India. To be honest, I wasn't sure how this would work, dividing the setting between England (London and Brighton) and India. But I found that Donna had woven it all together brilliantly. I connected emotionally to the events in India because of the well-written character of Emilia, Lady Danvers' friend, through whose eyes we witness these events. 

As I read this book I got the impression that the characters are as important to the author as is accurately portraying the events in history. There is a great collection of characters within this book, and it is largely due to them and their interactions with one another that I stayed invested in the book. 

Despite my interest in history, I rarely pick up a factual book on history. For me, Donna provides in her novels a great way of learning about history and a more enjoyable one at that. I learnt more about the Victorians than I had previously known. Her writing brings history to life and gives a way of connecting to the past that is not found in non-fiction books. 

What I also liked about her book is that there was no gratuitous violence, sex or bad language and, in my opinion, her book is all the better for this. Because of this, I would feel comfortable recommending to anyone. 

Within the pages of this book, Donna has cleverly woven together history, mystery, suspense and a touch of romance too. All of which when combined makes for a very enjoyable read. If any of these genres appeal to you as a reader, then I recommend you read "The Lethal Spectre" too. I don't think you'll be disappointed.


Donna Fletcher Crow is passionate about English history and loves telling the stories of the men and women who have shaped the world we live in. 


She is the author of some 50 books including the award-winning Arthurian epic Glastonbury, The Novel of Christian England

She currently authors three mystery series: Lord Danvers Investigates, The Monastery Murders, and The Elizabeth and Richard Literary Suspense.

Donna and her husband live in Boise, Idaho. They have 4 adult children and 14 grandchildren. She loves gardening and reading. Research is one of her favourite parts of writing. She tries never to set a book in a place she hasn’t visited. You can see pictures from her garden and research trips on her website and follow her on Facebook at Donna Fletcher Crow, Novelist of British History.


Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?