What Is Your Motivation?

Dear Friends,
What Is Your Motivation?



By now, many of you will probably know that I enjoy reading. One of my particular favourite genres is Christian historical fiction. A few months ago I read A Lasting Impression by Tamera AlexanderIt really challenged me and got me thinking. And this is what I would like to share with you today. 

The heroine of the story is Claire Laurent. She loves to paint and her greatest desire is to make a name for herself in the world of art and leave a lasting impression on the world.

One morning she hears God speaking to her heart, asking her, "Would you paint if you knew you were painting only for me?" She battles with her answer. She questions if God has given her the gift of painting, why isn't he using it? She comes to the conclusion that, whilst she doesn't fully understand what God is asking of her, she knows the love she felt from God as he asked her that question is what she wants, more than anything. So she decides that, whatever the cost, her answer is yes. Her decision from then on is to paint the best she can and to do so as though she were only painting for him.

The author of this novel wrote this based on her own personal experience of a time when God spoke to her about her writing.

As I said, I read this novel a few months back and yet it is still very much in my mind and heart. It has left its own 'lasting impression' on me.

I love to write, it brings me such joy and I believe it is a gift from God and as such is a gift to be nurtured and used. 

God used this novel to cause me to really think about my own motives when it comes to my writing and examine my heart. I confess that I would love to be a well-known writer, with many published books and have people read and enjoy what I have written. But when that is my main or only motive, then my writing becomes all about me, making a name for myself and wanting to have all the glory. 

Have you ever felt that way? Do you want people to take notice of you and what you do? Do you want their praise for your talents? For them to tell you how amazing and talented you are? 

Or, when we use the gifts God has blessed us with, is it our motive to bring glory to God, to bless others, to point them to him rather than ourselves and to honour him in all that we do?

Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 115:1 (NLT)

I've thought about my response to God's question of "Would you write if you knew you were only writing for me?" And I know, as far as someone can understand their own heart, that I will continue to write and to write as though it were just for him and no one else. 

Sometimes I think, “I will make no mention of his message. I will not speak as his messenger any more.” But then his message becomes like a fire locked up inside of me, burning in my heart and soul. I grow weary of trying to hold it in; I cannot contain it. Jeremiah 20:9 (NET)

I can relate to what Jeremiah is saying here because I feel that way about writing. I have this desire within me, in my heart and soul, which won't stay hidden, or be dismissed or fade away, it just has to be expressed. I can't help but write.

Who better to write for, than for God my King? There can be no greater audience. To have him smile down at me as I use the gift he has given me, to bring him pleasure. What greater reward is there?

God gives each one of us many gifts -  our natural abilities, our learned skills, and our spiritual gifts. What if no one ever really notices us or our achievements? What if they never show us any appreciation or gratitude? Will we still do these things, knowing God has gifted us and called us to do them even if what we do seems to go unseen?

Imagine God is asking you the same question regarding that thing which you know God has gifted you with and which you enjoy to do more than anything else. What would your response to that question be? 

"Would you ________ (fill in the blank yourself) if you knew you were doing this only for me?" 

Will you and I continue to do what we have been called to do, to the very best we can, and do it as though we were doing it for God alone?

Whatever you do [whatever your task may be], work from the soul [that is, put in your very best effort], as [something done] for the Lord and not for men24 knowing [with all certainty] that it is from the Lord [not from men] that you will receive the inheritance which is your [greatest] reward. It is the Lord Christ whom you [actually] serve. Colossians 3:23-24 (AMP)

To Think About:
What ability do you believe God has gifted you with?

What is the motivation for using your gift? Who are you doing it for?

Are you using your gift to the very best you can? What could you do to nurture, develop, or enhance this gift from God?

Vicki

If what you read was of interest to you, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon, now on Kindle as well as in paperback. (Its content is material adapted from previous blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:

https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/bloggergrid/



https://www.faithfulbloggers.com/


For more information about Tamera Alexander and her novels please click on the link provided:

http://tameraalexander.com/













Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?