God's Direction for 2017

Dear Friends,


As is my usual practice for a new year, I am investing in January as the month to seek God's direction for my life in 2017.

If you have read my previous blogs written at the start of a new year, you will know that I have chosen a verse which is important for me for that particular year. And last year I focused on a word which was relevant for the year ahead. 

I've noticed, from reading various American devotionals and blogs, that the idea of choosing one particular word has become more and more popular. (You can find more information from Mike Ashcraft: myoneword.org and Rachel Wojo: scripturedoodle.com).

This year, as I've spent time alone with God, I've sensed him leading me towards the word "TRUST"

I was reading Genesis 15 one morning and the verse that stood out to me was 15:6 "And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith." (NLT)  The original Hebrew word for 'believe' is 'aman'.  My study bible told me that "This verb denotes trust. It often involves the active decision to believe in the veracity or trustworthiness of an idea or person but can also signify an ongoing state of belief and the action associated with that faith. The word is often used to refer to faith in God and his promises."

So, I've chosen "TRUST" as my word because this year I am making an active decision to believe in the trustworthiness of my God and his promises for me. I choose to trust God and act accordingly.

As I said, I've sensed God leading me towards the word "TRUST", and not least because I have been given two books for Christmas which are about this very thing. The first book is 
'If you want to walk on water you've got to get out of the boat' by John Ortberg and the second one is, 'Take hold of the faith you long for' by Sharon Jaynes.

I now have my word and I also have my verse for the year. I actually wrote about this verse in my very first blog on 25th April 2013. You could say it is also my life verse. It has been important to me since I was eleven years old. God has drawn my attention to it twice this past week, hence why I have chosen to concentrate on it this year.

The verse is Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.(or will direct your paths)" (NIV)

I am so aware of how much I need God's direction for this coming year and how I need to trust him as I move forward in the direction he wants me to take. I'm spending more time in January to ask him what he wants me to do. I have my own ideas, but I can so often get carried away with them without first asking God what he thinks about them. I need his help to distinguish between what is a 'good idea' and what is a 'God idea'. My 'good idea' is not necessarily a 'God idea'.This means trusting him, not relying or depending on my human, limited understanding, and submitting my will to his. 

As I move into a new year I need not fear if I am actively trusting God every step of the way.

To Think About:
Will you spend some time alone with God during this month to seek his will for you for 2017?

Is there a particular word he is drawing your attention to?  Why do you think that might be?

Is there a particular verse he wants you to focus on in 2017?  You may know now why it's going to be important to you, or it may be as you get further into the year you realise its significance.

I would love to hear from you what your 2017 word and/or verse is.  Feel free to comment at the end of this blog post.

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?