A Month of Thanksgiving

Dear Friends,


If you read my blog post at the beginning of November, you'll know that I had made the decision that for this month I was going to thank God daily for three things he had blessed me with from the previous day. 

I wonder if any of you also took up the challenge and if so how was it for you?

I was chatting with my Mum about my challenge and she shared with me how she had been doing a similar thing for a few years now. She took it a step further and had been writing the things she was thankful for in a book. I thought it was a great idea so I have been doing the same. I had a spare notebook at home which has become "My Book of Thanksgiving".

I highly recommend you find someone mature in their faith who you can talk openly and honestly with about your Christian journey. We can learn so much from one another. We can also provide each other with encouragement and support.

I don't have a great memory, so it was definitely a good idea for me to write down what I am thankful for. My memory is so poor that often by the next day I have forgotten what I was thankful for. It works much better for me if I write it down at the end of the day rather than waiting for the following morning. 

It's great having a written record of what I'm thankful for. In fact, I've decided to continue to keep writing in my book of thanksgiving. It's been a good habit to develop in my life. It serves as a good reminder and it's uplifting to look back over the weeks to see the variety of things I have to be thankful for. It also helps me not to take so much for granted.

Looking back over the month of November I've noticed how often it's the small and simple things that I'm thankful for. Such as the way my niece, Abi, made me laugh as we spent the morning together. Or my Dad taking Rue (our puppy) for a walk as I wasn't able to some mornings.Or when my Mum lent me a warm cardigan to wear as I'd been cold whilst undertaking my duties as an Exam Scribe and Reader at our local school. Or my sister sending me an encouraging text when I had got a long day ahead of me at work. Or a family game of 'Ligretto'.

Of course, there were still some days when I struggled to be thankful. Those difficult days which we all have from time to time. On those days I found it even more important to focus on God and all he means to me. Such as being thankful for his presence with me on a tough day, his faithfulness, his goodness etc.

This month of thankfulness has been a positive step in changing my attitude and my mindset. It helps me appreciate so much more what I have and what God has blessed me with. I acknowledge I still some way to go yet, but that's OK, because I know that transformation doesn't happen overnight or because of my own will power. It happens with the help of the Holy Spirit and his power working in me.  As it says in Romans 12:2 "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (NLT)

I'm grateful that God is working on me to change me.  He won't give up on me.  He will see through to the end what he has begun to do in me.  As it says in Philippians 1:6 "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." (NLT)

Cultivating an attitude of thankfulness makes such a difference to our day. Especially if you are like me, and lean towards a pessimistic or negative outlook and are quite easily swayed by feelings. I believe that the more I focus on God and being thankful, the stronger this attitude will become and in time, being thankful, will become second nature. When I choose a thankful mindset, then the feelings will follow. If I'm not deliberate in doing this, then my negative feelings will determine my mindset.

When we seek to live life this way then we are doing as Paul said in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." (NLT)

To Think About:
If you took up the thankfulness challenge last month, how did it go?  Has it made a positive difference in your life?

Will you take the time to build a close relationship with another Christian? Someone you can be honest with. Someone who will encourage and support you. Someone you can learn from.

Spend some time reflecting over this past week and thank God for all that you have to be thankful for. (If you're memory is poor, like mine, ask him to remind you of all you have to be grateful to him for.)

Vicki




Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?