Changing the Well-Worn Tracks in your Mind

Dear Friends,

Ever had one of those days, weeks, seasons which has been frustrating and difficult, when you're frustrated by your limitations, when you want to do so much more than you are doing, when you're not able to do the things you want to do, let alone the things you need to do?

I know I have.  I live with the long term illness, M.E (Myalgia Encephalitis), some days are worse than others, some are bad, some are not too good either.  I've been in the middle of one of those bad times and to be honest with you, I was feeling really frustrated!  When the M.E. is worse, everything is so much harder, even simple things such as walking up my stairs and preparing a meal, become almost impossible tasks as I have limited strength and energy.  Because we are so much more than just physical beings, my whole self is affected - emotionally and spiritually.  I am so frustrated by my limitations, there's so much more I long to do but I'm just not able to, and the more frustrated I feel, the more depressed I am.  When the M.E. is more manageable, my depression is also more manageable with the aid of antidepressants.  I see an opportunity and want to grab it with both hands, but the reality of my life is that I just can't, and when I'm in this downward spiral (physically, emotionally, spiritually) I believe that my hopes and dreams will never be fulfilled, I waiver between wanting the chance to develop my spiritual gifts to thinking that I'm just not good enough anyway and others who have the same gifts as I do are so much more gifted at them than I am, so just give up.

So, I throw a pity party... as you read the last paragraph did you notice that it is all about me, me, me, what I want, what I feel, what I think.  And you know, the only person who is really happy at that party is the devil.  He's happy because my focus is no longer on God, where it should be, instead it's on me.  Oh, the devil's loving this and he's making the most of this opportunity, he's egging me on all the time, with the intention of robbing me of my joy, peace and hope.

I don't want to be like this, think like this, feel like this, I know it's not a healthy way to think, but the truth is that this kind of thinking has become a very well worn path in my mind.  It's like being on autopilot and before you know it, you're headed once again down that track.  If you drive a car you know what it's like when you're driving a familiar, regularly used route, such as going to church, or home from work, or taking the kids to school.  You don't even have to think about the direction, you're on autopilot.  However, when you need to change the route, say to accommodate a work colleague or your son's friend to their home, you need to think and concentrate that much more because it's not a route that you're familiar with.

What I'm trying to say is that instead of allowing my mind to travel it's usual, familiar, well-worn unhealthy track I need to develop a new one, and this isn't easy, it does mean being deliberate about the direction I allow my mind to take and it also means relying on the power of God's Holy Spirit to help me.  Romans 12:2 "Don’t copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (NLT)

So, God and I had time out together, I shared with him how I was feeling and thinking - it's ok to be honest with God.  He helped me to redirect my thinking and to put my frustrations and limitations into perspective.  And he showed me what I needed to do.  This included thinking about verses in the bible that are precious to me and are helpful for getting my thoughts on the right track, such as Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (NLT), Romans 8:28 "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." (NLT) and Proverbs 3:5-6  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." (NLT)

I listened to Christian radio, such as UCB Inspirational, and as I listened to and sang along with the worship songs, my thoughts were changed from going down their usual track to focusing on God.  I find that my thoughts are so quick at turning to their familiar track that it is really helpful to play worship songs, even if it's only in the background, because the songs do redirect my focus onto God.

When I turned the radio on the other morning, I caught the last part of an interview the radio host was giving, and what I heard at that particular moment, even though I'd come in halfway through was just what I needed to hear to encourage me right where I am.  I know this was of God, one of those God-incidences I talked about in a previous blog.

Later that day I read an article that had come through on my email by Cortni Marrazo.  (You can read her aticle by clicking the link: http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/women/how-to-deal-with-dashed-hopes-and-disappointments.html ) It fitted so well with what God and I had talked through, and it included more of what I needed to know, so that I was greatly encouraged by it.  Yes, it was another God-incidence!

Changing those well-worn tracks in our mind will take time, so please, don't be discouraged when you think it's taking longer than it should, don't give up, keep persevering, keep bringing your focus back to God and relying on him and his transforming power.  Those well-worn tracks you find yourself travelling so often, actually took a long time to become well-worn, they didn't appear overnight, so keep that it mind when creating new tracks in your thinking.

To Think About:
Are you aware of some of the unhealthy, well-worn tracks in your mind?

Recognising them is the first step to dealing with them and changing them.  What practical things can you do to start creating new, healthier tracks?

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?